Thursday, March 14, 2013

Reader's Choice Column I

So here I was on the eve of Pi Day with nothing to write about.  Sure the Free Agency scene in the NFL has had me frantically tweeting away (follow me here) throughout the past couple of days.  But I'm in the process of launching a weekly Sunday Night mega-article with Tyler Walker and Chris Otis on all things NFL Offseason, so I don't want to go overboard on that stuff.  At the same time, I couldn't leave my faithful readers out to dry for my own selfish reasons.  Lo and behold, the first ever Reader's Choice Column is here!  I asked twitter followers and facebook friends what they wanted me to write about, and with a few exceptions, wrote about all the things I was asked to.  Here's a 5-part series of thoughts on anything and everything the readers of Jack Andrade Sports wanted to know.

Question:  what do you guys want me to write about?



1. How about why Germany is going to win the next World Cup?
-Kilian

Photo Rights to cctv.com
JA:  That’d be an easy article to write if Germany was actually going to win the World Cup in 2014.  But…I don’t see it.  They always seem to choke in big games.  The past two world cups have seen the Germans lose in the semi-finals, and they lost in the final in the one before that (2002).  In the 2008 European Championship Finals, they lost 1-0 to Spain, then in the 2012 semi-final they lost to a much less-regarded Italian side.  They’re like the Buffalo Bills of International soccer.   I’m sure they’ll make a run deep into the tournament, but I’d never bet on them to win anything at this point.



2. How about winners and losers of NFL Free Agency after 2 days?
-Kyle

JA:  Well, Kyle, it’s always hard to predict the future, but I’ll do my best to give you some brief analysis (more on why later).

Biggest Winners:  You have to like what the Broncos have done so far, adding Wes Welker and Louis Vasquez to an already scary offense.  They missed out on Reggie Bush but added the best slot receiver in the NFL, as well as the second best guard on the market.  Peyton Manning should be pleased.  Defensively, they added Domnique Rodgers-Cromartie as a speed corner, which they sorely needed against Baltimore.  They also got Terrance Knighton, the Defensive Tackle from Jacksonville, and are now working on re-structuring Elvis Dumervil’s contract.  It’s been an A+ offseason for John Elway.

Biggest Losers:  No question, the Baltimore Ravens have gotten raided by the rest of the league.  Pass Rusher Paul Kruger stayed in the AFC North and signed with the Browns.  The Ravens were outbid by the Dolphins on Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, who was supposed to be the heir to Ray Lewis in the middle of that defense.  Bernard Pollard was cut, and Ed Reed is going elsewhere- so there go the starting safeties.  Chris Canty was signed as a Defensive Tackle but he doesn’t make up for any of the losses on the defense.  Offensively, they dumped Anquan Boldin’s $6 million salary only to see the guys they hoped to sign go elsewhere.  It’s been a nightmare for GM Ozzie Newsome.



3. Percy Harvin Trade!!!!!!
-Casey

Photo Rights to ESPN
JA:  I’d love to get into the Harvin deal, Casey, but I’m saving most of it for this Sunday, when I’ll be debuting a new segment on the blog called ‘Sunday Night Touchdown.’  It’s going to be a big summation of the week’s events in the NFL offseason and Harvin is going to be heavily featured.  I can say that when the dust settled, I thought Seattle gave up too much for him.  Not that Harvin isn’t a good player, but the Vikings had almost no leverage and still eschewed a first round pick out of the Seahawks.  Stay tuned for more on Sunday.




4. Why Bill Belichick is the best coach in the history of sports.
-Alex

Photo Rights to USA Today
JA:  I’m not sure I can prove it, especially against coaches of other sports.  But I can tell you that since the dawn of the NFL Free Agent era, Belichick is the only coach to win 3 Super Bowls and also the only coach to win 3 AP Coach of the Year Awards.  So there’s reason to believe he’s the best NFL coach of the last 20+ years.




5. Why the Patriots have been s***ing the bed in the playoffs for nearly a decade now.
-Casey

JA:  They took lessons from the German national soccer squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment