Sunday, May 5, 2013

2013 NBA Playoffs Second Round Preview

Photo Rights to thesource.com


With the first round of the NBA Playoffs in the books, I'm a pedestrian 5-3 on my series picks for 2013.  I did get 3 of my 5 correct picks Super Correct by nailing the exact series line (Heat and Spurs sweeps, Pacers in 6).  And of course a lot of my key matchups lived up to my billing (whether sarcastic or sincere).  Round 2 is here, and here are the picks.

East

1 Miami vs. 5 Chicago
Key Matchup:  Heat Stars vs. Bulls Big Men

We all know that barring injuries the Heat are the logical choice to win their second championship in as many years.  We also know that the Bulls are one of the nastiest, toughest group of bad boys in the league.  Between Noah, Boozer, and Gibson, the Bulls have 3 quality bigs that are also capable of a hard foul gone wrong on Dwayne Wade or Chris Bosh.  LeBron James can only be stopped by cramps.

Prediction:  Heat in 5


2 New York vs. 3 Indiana
Key Matchup: Spike Lee vs. Reggie Miller

Can we just talk about how if TNT is televising any of these games, we might get Reggie Miller doing color commentary while Spike Lee acts like Spike Lee on the sideline?  I vaguely remember those two guys having a history with each other.

Prediction:  Knicks in 7


West

1 Oklahoma City vs. 5 Memphis
Key Matchup:  Kevin Durant vs. Tony Allen/Tayshaun Prince

With Harden and Gay being traded, both of these teams lost some star-power.  But Russell Westbrook's injury means it's pretty much Kevin Durant against the Grizz in this series, and the Grizz just so happen to have a pair of  lockdown perimeter defenders in Tony Allen and Tayshaun Prince.  I don't think OKC could lose a Game 7 at home with their crowd being so rowdy, so I reserve the right to backtrack if this series goes 7, but I'm going for the upset finish in Game 6 in Memphis.

Prediction:  Grizzlies in 6


2 San Antonio vs. 6 Golden St.
Key Matchup:  Championships vs. Butts in the Seats

Defense wins Championships.  Offense putts butts in the seats.  Both of these teams are really good at offense.  The Spurs can be good defensively, I think, whereas the Warrriors are just a sieve.  I also think they can take a page out of Denver's book and rough up Steph Curry a little bit.

Prediction:  Spurs in 6

No comments:

Post a Comment