Thursday, April 25, 2013

2013 NFL Draft Round 1 Conversation

Draft day is finally here!  Welcome to the NFL Draft Conversation.  For the next 3 hours or so, I'll be bringing you inside the conversation between myself and a couple of friends from back home as we watch the draft.  We'll go live at 7:55 and I'll try and keep you posted up through the end of Round 1.

For context sake, I can tell you I'm in the press room at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass, home of the New England Patriots.  Chris Otis is somewhere in Texas, and Tyler Walker is in Rhode Island.

With that, we'll be live here at 7:55.  You're going to want to stay tuned whether you know who we are or not.


Coming to you LIVE from various regions of the country, we bring you the 2013 NFL Draft Round 1 Conversation

7:55 JA: Welcome in guys, should be the most unpredictable first round in awhile
7:58 CO: I'd say so. I mean, when the expected first overall pick is from Central Michigan...that's probably a good sign that this should be crazy.
7:59 JA: Something tells me no rookie in this class is going to challenge RG3's jersey sales record
7:59 TW: I really don't think there should be a Quarterback taken in the first
7:59 CO: I'm with you there Walker
8:00 TW: Unfortunately I think the Jets will take one with their second first rounder
8:00 CO: Nassib going to the Bills at 8 would be pretty similar to when the Jags reached on Gabbert a couple years ago I think. But I think it'll happen.
8:00 JA: I think Geno Smith has everything you want in a QB. Only question with him is in his head and whether teammates really look to him as a leader.  And Gabbert was seen as a better prospect than Locker, who went ahead of him. Ponder was the big reach in 2011. Right, TW?
8:02 CO: Geno is #1 on the QB list for sure this year. But I'd say he should go in the late first at the earliest. I doubt he actually goes that low though.
8:02 TW: Well I certainly wasn't happy to see them reach for Ponder
8:03 CO: There were too many big reaches in 2011...
8:04 JA: you mean the Titans and Jags picking those QBs over J.J. Watt hasn't bitten them in the butt?
8:06 CO: Oh it certainly has.
8:06 JA: Is Joe Namath drunk?
8:06 CO: Do fish swim?
8:06 TW:  Are midgets short?
8:07 JA: we should probably alert readers that TW is in fact, a dwarf
8:08 CO: Any last second bold predictions anyone?
8:08 JA: Bold Predictions... I had Jon Cooper in the Top 5 to Detroit in my last mock, is that bold?
8:09 CO: Bold enough.
8:10 TW: Pats will trade out of the first (like every year)
8:10 JA: he said bold, not ovbious
8:10 CO: My boldest prediction...someone jumps into #3 to take a QB.
8:11 CO: I definitely agree with you Walker, I don't see the Pats picking tonight
8:12 TW: the pats will take the honey badger CB Mathieu and he will flourish at some point in the draft
8:12 CO: That one passes the bold test. But I do think that it's a possibility, Belichick is great at getting problem players to buy in (most of the time).  These final moments before the first pick are more excruciating than waiting for Christmas morning as a kid.
8:15 JA: It's funny because no matter who they pick, Chiefs fans have to get excited about an Offensive Tackle
With The First Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Kansas City Chiefs Select Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
8:16 CO: Very true. And the mild surprise does indeed occur.
8:16 JA: I'm 1 for 1 baby!
8:18 CO: I guess the natural question is whether or not the Chiefs will regret taking Fisher over Joeckel in a few years
8:18 JA: Lane Johnson is the guy people might regret passing on
8:18 TW: I don't think the Chiefs will regret it.
8:19 JA: Joeckel and Fisher are good, but Lane Johnson, if he goes to Oregon...I mean Philly, will do special things for that position
8:19 CO: I was honestly surprised it took him so long to rise as far as he has. Everything I've seen on Lane Johnson makes me think he should be viewed at least as high as Joeckel and Fisher.  And I don't think so either Walker. I'm a fan of Fisher's, but it is a necessary question I think.
8:21 CO: What's the buzz on the Jags right now?
8:21 JA: Joeckel or Ansah I hear. Dion Jordan I guess is feasible.
8:22 CO: Man it's crazy how far Ansah has risen.  Dude is a beast though, no doubt.
8:23 JA: He can play.
With The Second Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Jacksonville Jaguars Select Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
8:25 CO: Cue Joeckel pretending to be excited about going to Jacksonville...
8:25 TW: Finally someone can block in Jacksonville
8:25 CO: That's a great pick for the Jags though. Fills a need and is the best player on the board. Can't beat that.  Right? Should be interesting to see how their offense benefits.
8:27 JA: Luke Joeckel joins exclusive club of LT's that block for a better QB in college than he will as NFL Rookie
8:27 CO: Well let's see if my bold prediction holds true. Time to see if anyone takes the bait and sneaks up ahead of the Eagles to take Geno.  Any chance the Raiders shock everyone and reach on someone incredibly fast? Like they always do?
8:29 JA: No one's moving here for Geno. And Al Davis died, so I think not.
8:30 CO: I was thinking they might try to mimic him in his honor or something.
8:30 JA: Shariff Floyd, Ziggy Ansah the favorites if OAK keeps it
8:31 CO: My guess would be Floyd
8:32 TW: Think they might go Jarvis Jones?
8:32 JA: Top 8 would be a shock for JJ at this point.  Clock stopped, trade?
8:32 CO: Yup, here we go.  Here comes Lane Johnson
The Oakland Raiders trade the 3rd pick to the Miami Dolphins
8:34 CO: Well there goes the first surprise of the draft. Did not expect the Dolphins to move up.
8:34 JA: They had 5 picks in first 3 rounds
With the 3rd Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Miami Dolphins Select Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
8:35 TW: Wow
8:35 CO: Shock #2 on the same pick.  Yeah I'm not at all surprised that they moved up, but I didn't see it happening this high up.
8:36 TW: Miami may not be able to score but the other team will struggle too
8:36 CO: Well Dion Jordan is an absolute beast so he isn't really a reach here, but this is not something I saw coming at all.
8: 36 JA: Eagles probably had 2 heart attacks in last 5 minutes
8:37 CO: No question
8:37: TW: They can't catch any breaks
8:38 JA: Unless they wanted DJ in which case they're just angry right now
8:40 CO: Quick note: Jordan saying this is his first time....isn't it everyone's first time? Aren't you only allowed to do this once, because you're kinda in the league after? Doesn't pass my brutal post-drafted interview test.  What's the buzz here Jack? Johnson?
8:41 JA: Johnson or Lotulelei. Geno Smith rumblings but nothing serious, I don't think.
8:41 CO: Lotulelei would be a bit of a surprise this high, no?
8:42 JA: Not really
With the 4th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Philadelphia Eagles Select Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
8:43 CO: Can't wait to see how this works out.
8:43 JA: I'm 2 for 4.
8:43 CO: He really could be special in Philly's new system.
8:45 JA: Raiders get 12th and 42nd picks for 3.  Good deal for both sides.
8:45 CO: Not bad at all.  Got the second rounder they were missing.
8:48 JA: Would be surprising to see Ansah NOT be the pick here.
8:49 CO: I'd have to agree
8:49 JA: Eisen just DESTROYED Marriucci for picking Joey Harrington 3rd overall (Oregon link with DJ)
With the 5th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Detroit Lions Select Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
8:51 TW: The Lions have a chance to have a great young talented d line.  Fairley Suh and Ansah is nasty.
8:52 CO: Ridiculously athletic defensive line.  If Ansah develops into what Detroit is hoping for, their line will be frightening.
8:53 JA: Browns pick is in early, Geno Smith? Looks like they weren't looking to move down from here any more.
8:53 CO: Yeah that was quick.  They must have had their minds set on someone. Wouldn't be surprised to see Geno.  I doubt that they realistically expect Weeden to be the longterm answer.
With the 6th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Cleveland Browns Select Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
8:55 TW: Best name in the draft
8:56 CO: Freak, freak athlete.  Great pick for Cleveland I think. Their defense is a bit, well, you know...it's a weakness.  Mingo could be a 10-15 sack per year type of guy if he is coached correctly.
8:57 JA: Anyone who reads my stuff knows I'm not a huge fan of Kiki Mingo...but I'm not a scout
8:59 CO: He's boom/bust for sure.
8:59 JA: Jon Cooper to ARI?
8:59 CO: Perhaps. Wouldn't surprise me at all.  I'm still higher on Warmack than Cooper.  But I know I'm in the minority there.
With the 7th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Arizona Cardinals Select Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina.
9:01 CO: It just strikes me as a bit odd that just a few months ago Warmack was touted as the greatest guard prospect in a decade, and then Cooper rose past him all of a sudden.
9:04 JA: Cooper is quicker, showed a lot more strength than expected at combine. Better fit in a spread/speed O than Warmack, more of a power Guard in the Pro Style.
9:04 CO: Adam Schefter just reported that St Louis will be moving here at #8 for a complicated deal with many picks with Buffalo.
The Bills Trade the 8th Pick to The St. Louis Rams
9:05 JA: Tavon Austin here to STL
9:05 CO: That's what it looks like
9:05 TW: Tavon Austin here to the Rams
9:06 CO: Looks like we're in agreement here.  Great fit for sure. The Rams desperately need an offensive weapon, especially after losing Stephen Jackson and Danny Amendola.  I don't think you can usually justify a short receiver this early, but it really isn't that bad here I don't think.
With the 8th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The St. Louis Rams Select Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
9:09 CO: My immediate impression is slight reach. But if Tavon Austin goes off next year they'll look like a bunch of geniuses over there in St Louis.  Do the Jets go QB here?
9:09 JA: Fun fact: Of Geno's 42 TD passes in 2012, 12 went to Tavon...teammate Stedman Bailey (also in this draft) had 25 of them
9:11 TW: Austin shouldn't be taken by a team with no receivers and expect to be effective
9:12 CO: I think that's a good point Jack, but it's clear from picks 5 and 6 that potential dominates the NFL draft.
9:13 JA: Jets options looking bleak. Lotulelei, Vaccaro, CB in play- but I say Warmack
9:14 CO: If the Jets go QB, it would look to me like they did a great job of tricking St Louis into thinking they were going after Austin...QB isn't really ever a backup plan. If they take one, that makes it seem to me like it was there plan all along.  My guess would be Warmack or reaching on a QB.  Maybe Dee Milliner though. That's another possibility.
9:16 JA: It's Milliner, Schefter leaking picks C'MON MAN
With the 9th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The New York Jets Select Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
9:17 CO: Dammit Schefter!  Obvious need filled with Revis gone,  He'll be a pain for the Pats unless they upgrade WR, that's for sure.
9:19 JA: The Titans are on the clock. I mocked Floyd and Star to be available, didn't expect Warmack to be there but Floyd still my gut instinct.
9:20 CO: I think they'll go Warmack.  Need to improve the O-line for CJ.  Now, as a Titans fan, who would you WANT them to pick?
9:23 JA: Honestly...Star Lotulelei I think.  But lots of good options
9:24 CO: I think this is where the depth of this draft begins to show off a bit.
9:25 JA: By depth you mean everyone but the LTs and Pass Rushers
9:26 CO: Basically. But there's more depth than top end talent in this draft. This area might still be "top end" arguably, but there are multiple guys you can justify going this high left.
With the 10th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Tennessee Titans Select Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
9:26 JA: I'll take a "Chance" any day
9:27 CO: Somewhere, Chris Johnson is flashing a real golden smile right now.  Where does SD go with this pick?
9:28 Ja: Fluker, Star, Floyd, Jarvis Jones in play, I think
9:28 TW: Lotulelei!
9:28 JA: How good do the Raiders look, getting either Floyd or Star at 12
9:29 CO: I'd say pretty damn good.  Boy does it feel weird praising the Raider's draft strategies.
9:29 TW: For once they aren't the ones getting screwed in a trade
9:29 CO: Never thought I'd see the day.  I'd say Floyd goes here.
9:30 JA: I'll take Fluker- one of us should be right that way
With the 11th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers Select D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
9:31 CO: Good call Jack.  The Raiders are celebrating right now.  I'd be shocked if they don't go Floyd.  Fluker is a solid pick by the Chargers I think
9:32 JA: I think they take Floyd as well. Fluker will be a great RT
9:33 CO: Their running game should improve significantly.
9:33 TW: Unanimous on Floyd
9:34 Co: Let's hope they don't make us look stupid.
9:36 JA: Chris Johnson Tweets "THANK GOD"
9:37 CO: That's hilarious.
With the 12th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders Select D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
9:38 TW: Shocker
9:39 JA: Well the Raiders did well for the first hour and a half...as much as I like Hayden's story...just no...not over those DTs.
9:40 CO: Great story, terrible pick.  Rex Ryan just crapped himself.  If they go QB here like Schefter is hinting at, that's a major mistake.
9:41 JA: Jets still have those DTs, and Jarvis Jones in play. Kenny Vaccaro? 2 DBs would go over great with that crowd.
9:42 CO: I bet they go Floyd. I don't think very highly of Ryan, but I don't think he's as dumb as the Raiders.
9:43 JA: Give me...Star.
9:44 TW: Lotulelei to Jets
9:44 CO: Really Kiper? No team needs a QB after the Jets at this pick? Not Buffalo?...No phone call for Geno yet, doesn't look like that's where the Jets are headed.
With the 13th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The New York Jets Select Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
9:47 CO: Thanks Rex. The rest of the division appreciates you passing on two better DTs.
9:48 JA: Carolina pick is in VERY QUICKLY
9:48 CO: That was nuts.
9:48 JA: Floyd...gotta be Floyd or Star
9:48 CO: One would think.  I've been going Floyd for like 4 picks in a row, can't stop now.
With the 14th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Carolina Panthers Select Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
9:52 JA: Great pick.. I like Star over Floyd personally
9:52 CO: No surprise here. Lotulelei or Floyd were the no-brainer picks here for Carolina and they didn't screw it up by taking someone else.  I'm shocked the both of them have fallen this far honestly.  I expected both to go top 10.
9:54 JA: Honestly...I had Floyd 14th on my Big Board...I thought I had him lower than ANYONE else...I guess not?  I had Floyd 10 and Star 11 in my last mock...again, had them lower than anyone and still underestimated their drop.
9:56 CO: Guesses on Saints pick guys?
9:56 JA: Vaccaro?
9:57 CO: Should I keep jinxing Floyd?
9:57 JA: yes
9:57 CO: I'll go Floyd then. I'll keep jinxing him until the Pats pick.  He'd sure be an upgrade over Kyle Love.
9:58 TW: Im going Vaccaro
9:58 JA: Downgrade in arm fat vs. Kyle Love
With the 15th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The New Orleans Saints Select Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
9:59 CO: Anyone would be a downgrade in arm fat from Kyle Love.  Good pick for the Saints here.  I like the fit.  He's got that Saints swag.
9:59 TW: I like Vaccaro a lot
10:00 CO: Same here. Should be a beast.  Buffalo goes Nassib here. Book it.  Head coach connection too much to ignore.  It's too bad that Cuse doesn't play outdoors because he'd be ready for the Buffalo weather.
10:01 TW: If Ogletree is there at 23 the Vikings better take him
10:02 JA: If no trade down, Nassib the fave
10:02 CO: Ogletree would be a beast in Minny.
With the 16th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Buffalo Bills Select E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida St.
10:03 JA: Minny wants Te'o TW.  EJ Manuel.  My BOY.  EVERYTHING I BLOG ABOUT IS VALIDATED NOW.
10:05 CO: Never ever saw that one coming.
10:05 TW: not at all
10:05 CO: Can't ignore the intangibles though.  Kid is good. No question. But will he be an NFL success?
10:06 JA: If you google "EJ Manuel Bandwagon" my article is the first hit.
10:08 CO: hahaha.
10:08 JA: Jarvis Jones to Steelers? I think so
10:08 CO: Oh wait, you were being literal about that. Impressive.  Great fit for Pittsburgh. But I see them going Eifert.
10:10 JA: Yeah...I'm not kidding.  Also, Shariff Floyd would actually deserve the hype he'd get if he somehow winds up in Dallas at 18
With the 17th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Pittsburgh Steelers Select Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
10:12 CO: That's a rare thing to happen.  Though I hope they don't take him so that way I can laugh at the Cowboys fans tomorrow.  Assuming they make a bad pick in place of him of course
10:14 JA: Niners move up
The Cowboys Trade the 18th Pick to The San Francisco 49ers
With the 18th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The San Francisco 49ers Select Eric Reid, S, LSU
10:15 JA: Eric Reid?!
10:15 CO: .....Shocker anyone? God I go to the bathroom for 1 minute and crazy happens.  I will say that he's a special athlete with high upside.  But the 49ers probably didn't have to take him here.  What were the details of the trade? Anyone see?
10:17 JA: Cowboys got a 3rd rounder
10:19 CO: Time for Te'o talk the next couple of picks (unless he goes here)
10:20 JA: Hearing Manti Te'o over here for the Giants is a real possibility
With the 19th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The New York Giants Select Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse
10:21 COVersatility key with Pugh. Safe, solid pick.  I'm going with Te'o at 20.
10:22 JA: I think the Te'o to Bears was a smokescreen to mess with the Vikings. I've heard lots of Desmond Trufant to Bears.
10:25 CO: We shall soon see.  I like what Gruden was just saying about Eifert to the Bears.  Great fit I think.
10:26 TW: they just got Bennet in the offseason so i don't think that they would take a TE in the first round
10:27 CO: Eifert is better than Bennett though, but that could be true.  I say Te'o or Eifert
10:28 TW: Floyd
With the 20th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Chicago Bears Select Kyle Long, OG, Oregon
10:29 CO: Kinda surprising pick.  Obvious great pedigree though, and he's definitely athletic for an OL coming from Oregon.  Cincy pick in already.  Floyd?  Finally?  Do the Bengals summon their inner Pats and go Eifert, leaving them with a great TE tandem of Gresham and Eifert?
10:30 JA: Might be Lacy, Ogletree, but hard to argue Floyd for anyone now.
10:31 CO: I'd say Lacy is a reach here, but I'd be shocked if a running back didn't go somewhere in round 1, and he's the best one clearly.
10:31 JA: Bengals love Lacy I hear
10:32 CO: Lacy is a monster for sure. Easy to fall in love with, especially with a need at RB.  But I think this is a little too high.
With the 21st Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Cincinnati Bengals Select Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
10:34 CO: That could be a dangerous tandem.  Trade! Rams move pick to Atlanta.  Pick is in.  That was quick.
The Rams Trade the 22nd Pick to The Atlanta Falcons
10:35 JA: Saw that...Atlanta pouncing on Floyd...I feel it. Floyd or Rhodes.
10:36 CO: Has to be Floyd, right?
10:36 TW: if not Vikings will gladly take him
10:36 CO: Schefter saying Trufant
10:37 JA: Schefter is being a jerk, we all agreed no tipping picks
10:37 CO: If that's the case and everyone is in agreement to not do exactly what he is doing, then yeah he's being a jerk for sure.
10:40 JA: The agreement was no tweeting picks, which Peter King is breaking since he doesn't work for ESPN or NFL Network
10:41 CO: How kind of him.
With the 22nd Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Atlanta Falcons Select Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
10:42 CO: Trufant it is. Fills a need for sure, Atlanta just got better which is kinda scary.  Vikings pick in already apparently. Must be pouncing on Floyd (this jinx thing is working, gotta keep it up).  Kiper and Gruden fighting over the Honey Badger. Wonderful.  Gruden is drunk if he thinks Mathieu should go this high.
10:45 JA: Gruden never met a player he didn't love
With the 23rd Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Minnesota Vikings Select Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida
10:45 CO: Vikings got a steal. Walker you must be stoked.
10:46 TW: I'm freaking out.
10:46 JA: The antithesis to the Ponder pick, I'd say.
10:46 CO: Pretty much.  Here's a guy that nobody would have questioned going at #3 today falling to #23.
10:48 JA: I love the NFL Draft.
10:49 CO: Me too. It's the greatest event of the year.
With the 24th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Indianapolis Colts Select Bjoern Werner, OLB, Florida St.
10:50 CO: I like this kid. Everyone talks about his iffy combine but I really think he is legit.
10:53 JA: I love him. Not as a 3-4 OLB though. Still not a bad pick
10:53 CO: Minnesota keeping with the trend of quick picks.
10:53 TW: Ogletree
10:54 CO: Ogletree or Te'o I think. I'd personally go Ogletree, but Te'o could bring some great leadership skills to the MLB position.  All national media attention dies in Minneapolis too, so the Te'o story would be a thing of the past almost instantly.
With the 25th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Minnesota Vikings Select Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St.
10:55 TW: Wow didnt see that
10:55 JA: I disagree Otis...remember Favre?  Rhodes is another good value pick, fits that Cover 2...big, physical, can tackle
10:55 CO: Favre was the rare exception. If he hadn't been the Jesus of football for so long it would have been very different. Favre could get attention playing for a team in Ethiopia.  I agree on the pick. Surprising but good fit, solid pick.  Green Bay goes Lacy I think.
10:57 TW: 100 percent agree with Lacy here it makes too much sense especially after their issues last year with the run game
10:57 CO: Not a reach at all here, fills a need, and is the best at the position in the draft. I don't see how they could justify not picking him here.  If Lacy is as good as expected, the Packers offense will be literally unstoppable.
10:57 JA: He's too slow
10:57 CO: Aaron Rodgers with a running game?! Dang.  Don't need to break off 40 yarders to be a great back. I think he's got more than enough burst to average 4+ per carry.  I could see Sylvester Williams here too, to take pressure off of BJ Raji.
With the 26th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Green Bay Packers Select Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
11:00 COI would've went Lacy, but Jones is a beast. I really think he's going to be a force.
11:03 JA: Texans have a whole bunch of receivers available
11:03 CO: Schefter hinting at DeAndre Hopkins.  He's been pretty spot on tonight with these "hints" so I wouldn't be surprised to see that. I'd like that fit. They have a need at WR and Hopkins is dynamic.
11:05 JA: Hopkins is a stud
11:05 CO: I was blown away watching him in Clemson's bowl game.  I think he's underrated.
11:07 JA: In 2011, Sammy Watkins and Marquise Lee were studs as freshman receivers. Lee went out and outperformed Robert Woods (top WR in this draft before the season) while Watkins was relegated to #2 option thanks to Hopkins. That's something I'd love as a coach.
11:07 CO: Houston loves going defense though so we can't rule that out.  What's the buzz at Gillette for the Texans pick?  Getting close to New England now too, must be getting more exciting in there.
11:08 JA: Everyone's getting ready for Pats, no real buzz here
With the 27th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Houston Texans Select DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
11:09 CO: Any buzz for the Pats at all?  There we go with Hopkins. Thanks for the spoiler Schefter haha.  To reiterate, great fit, great pick.
11:10 JA: They like CBs and WRs. Jamar Taylor, Boise St. is a corner they've been linked to. Anyone at WR would be welcomed. I think Matt Elam is a guy they want, but no one can confirm that here
11:10 CO: Interesting.  Schefter reporting Vikings want to move to Patriots spot at 29 to pick Te'o.  Apparently they're dangling 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks to move up. Belichick will NOT miss that deal.  Go from 5 picks to 7 just like that. That's his style.
11:14 JA: wow
11:15 CO: Agreed.  Denver could go Lacy here. I really hope they don't though. The last thing Manning needs is a new toy.  From a Patriots fan perspective of course.
With the 28th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Denver Broncos Select Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
11:15 CO: Sylvester Williams of UNC. Can't ever argue with adding good players to the defensive line.  Alright, the Pats are up. Obvious needs are WR, DE, and CB.  If they keep the pick, I hope they go WR, but I think they go CB. I personally want them to trade down though, I hate this 5 draft pick business.
11:18 JA: There's your Vikings.  Didn't Expect them to keep it
11:18 CO: Schefter again spot on.  I didn't expect them too either.  Here comes Te'o. Walker, how do you feel? 3 first rounders this year!
11:18 TW: I am going insane right now
11:19 CO: Honestly the Vikings have done an unbelievable job tonight.
11:19 TW: Rick Speilman having a day
11:19 CO: Got a guy they would have moved up for at 23, another solid pick at 25, and another steal (if it is Te'o) at 29.  Gave up 4 picks to New England though.  I am stoked!
11:20 JA: I'm very much in favor of the Patriots end of the deal. 2, 3, 4, and 7
11:23 CO: I'd say.  Nothing wrong with 4 for 1.
11:24 JA: Peter King leaks Cord Patterson is the pick.
11:25 CO: Only negative with this is that Joe Andruzzi doesn't get to announce the Pats first rounder, he has to announce the Vikings one.
11:25 JA: Joe Andruzzi announcing the Vikes pick...way to go and ruin the moment Belichick
11:25 CO: They should've known that would happen, should've scheduled it for their second rounder lol.
11:26 JA: Rams love Ogletree, I think he's the pick at 30
11:26 CO: Great moment here letting Andruzzi speak.  I can't imagine the emotion he feels right now.
11:27 JA: Joey A...brothers in FDNY during 9/11...beat cancer in the middle of his NFL career...on hand to help out on Marathon Monday...The world is a better place because of people like him
11:28 CO: Absolutely. Great, great person.
11:28 JA: Sweet Caroline plays...WHY ARE WE NOT FOCUSING THE CAMERA ON GENO SMITH FOR THIS?!
11:29 CO: I think if Jets/Giants fans cheering for Boston doesn't give you faith in humanity, nothing will.  Leaked pick ends up correct, well Walker, how do you feel?
11:30 JA: Patterson is a lot better than Te'o
With the 29th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Minnesota Vikings Select Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
11:31 CO: Since you're a ND lover, I'll have to take that to be true.  Patterson is a damn good receiver, no question. I didn't think he'd be on the board this late. Thought top 20 for sure.  Wow, Gruden not a fan. Saying he's raw with a long way too go.
11:32 JA: Te'o was an amazing college player. He's not a 1st round pick
11:32 CO: Really nitpicking Patterson here. Kinda surprising.
11:33 JA: Rams pick is in, Cowboys apparently have their mind made up
11:34 CO: Should be a quick end to the round then. After that it's just Baltimore.  I'm going on record as not liking this 3 day format. This is just a tease having one round tonight.
11:34 JA: I think at least one safety will be picked in the final 3 here
11:35 CO: I'd be really surprised if one didn't honestly. This draft is so deep at safety.  Must be strange for Rams fans to be picking late in the first round again, haven't been back there in awhile.
With the 30th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Saint Louis Rams Select Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
11:37 JA: I think the Vikings plan all along was probably Rhodes and Patterson at 23 and 25, and they adjusted to accomodate Floyd. I like it alot.  And Ogletree goes to STL
11:37 CO: Yeah if that was their plan all along, they did fantastic.
11:37 JA: Jonathan Cyprien will be one of the next 2 picks, for my money
11:38 CO: Lack of competition hurts him though. I know firsthand how much of a joke the Sun Belt is.  I mean, the league overperformed last year, but don't expect much more of that.
11:38 JA: The #1 Pick went to Central Michigan...is my answer to that statement
11:39 CO: Valid point. But the MAC can't be laughed at as much with the rise of NIU and Kent State last year.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Dallas does.
11:41 JA: Dallas could go for Lacy, Menelik Watson, Cyprien here
11:41 CO: People will spaz here if they pick Lacy.  Cyprien will draw immediate boos heard across the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
11:42 JA: Geno Smith left the building. He'll be back tomorrow.  With Nassib the favorite to go 33 overall to JAX.  Matt Elam to Ravens the rumor
11:42 CO: No surprise, no chance of him going now. Really, Nassib is the favorite? Geno is really dropping.  
With the 31st Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Dallas Cowboys Select Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin
11:43 CO: Oh jeez, cue the boos.

11:43 JA: Travis Frederick? Yikes. He had the worst combine of any high end offensive prospect, IMO.  With Damontre Moore taking the honors on D.  Cowboys rumored to like Montee Ball in round 2, maybe they're going for the Wisconsin running game
11:43 CO: Yeah, I like the fit, but I was worried about the workouts.  Dallas fans are pissed, so I'm happy. Can't wait to troll them all tomorrow.  There's Elam, good call.
With the 32nd Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, The Baltimore Ravens Select Matt Elam, S, Florida
11:44 JA: Matt Elam, there you go
11:44 CO: Fills an obvious need with Reed gone. Good choice for the Ravens.
11:45 JA: Te'o, Geno, Nassib, Barkley, Lacy all still available as far as big names go
11:45 CO: Surprised at Te'o honestly. All I've been hearing is how the drama is a thing of the past as far as NFL teams are concerned. But apparently, that is a load of bull.  Surprised EJ Manuel was the lone QB too.

11:46 JA: He's just not good enough as a player...not surprised EJ went in first, surprised he went first and he was only one...but proud, nonetheless.
11:47 CO: You'd think the mocks would have reflected that if he wasn't good enough though. Good call on EJ, gotta give you credit on that one.  I bet Geno goes to the Eagles at 35 if the Jags go with Nassib at 33. That could be the start of a mini QB flurry.
11:50 CO: Just heard from ESPN that Geno Smith will NOT be back tomorrow. He's headed home instead.
11:51 JA: Bad move by Geno
11:51 CO: Agreed, it doesn't look good.
11:51 JA: Not the way a team wants to see a QB deal with adversity
11:52 CO: Exactly. Gotta sit there and deal with it. You know you're going to get drafted, just wait it out. Your name will be called.
11:53 JA: Yup. Brady Quinn did it. So did Aaron Rodgers. Obviously those guys have had very different careers but you'll never hear anyone say Quinn failed because of intangibles
11:55 CO: And considering that there are questions on Geno's intangibles, not a smart move at all. I know I'm a bit put off by the move, so NFL teams HAVE to be.  Shall we wrap this up sir?
11:55 JA:  Yes.  Nick Caserio about to come in and do a press conference.  Was fun, even after TW disappeared.


No comments:

Post a Comment